Our community is growing and expanding both online and offline. At this point we want to establish a Code of Conduct which will serve as a basis for interaction both on the web and on events. The goal of the Code of Conduct is to establish a set of rules, outlining rules and responsibilities and to give a basis for decisions/sanctions in the case that rules have been violated. Portions of the text are derived from the Mozilla Science Lab Code of Conduct and the Citizen Code of Conduct.
We want to open the current state of the text for feedback from the community (until Aug. 10th), after that we'll finalize and implement the final version of the Code of Conduct. Please have a look at the current version, and comment in this thread on any missing or unclear statements, or other observations you make.
Code of Conduct (Short Version)
- The ContentMine is dedicated to providing a harassment-free experience for everyone, regardless of gender, sexual orientation, disability, physical appearance, body size, race, religion, or choice of text editor. We do not tolerate harassment of participants in any form.
- All communication should be appropriate for a professional audience including people of many different backgrounds. Sexual language and imagery is not appropriate for any event or online interaction.
- Be kind to others. Do not insult or put down other attendees of events or contributors to the project.
- Behave professionally. Remember that harassment and sexist, racist, or exclusionary jokes are not appropriate.
- Participants of an event violating these rules may be asked to leave at the sole discretion of the organizers without a refund of any charge that may have been levied.
A primary goal of ContentMine is to be inclusive to the largest number of contributors, with the most varied and diverse backgrounds possible. As such, we are committed to providing a friendly, safe and welcoming environment for all, regardless of gender, sexual orientation, ability, ethnicity, socioeconomic status, and religion (or lack thereof).This code of conduct outlines our expectations for all those who participate in our community, as well as the consequences for unacceptable behavior. We invite all those who participate in ContentMine to help us create safe and positive experiences for everyone.
Open Source & Open Science Citizenship
A supplemental goal of this Code of Conduct is to increase open source and open science citizenship by encouraging participants to recognize and strengthen the relationships between our actions and their effects on our community.Communities mirror the societies in which they exist and positive action is essential to counteract the many forms of inequality and abuses of power that exist in society.If you see someone who is making an extra effort to ensure our community is welcoming, friendly, and encourages all participants to contribute to the fullest extent, we want to know.
The following behaviors are expected and requested of all community members:
- Participate in an authentic and active way. In doing so, you contribute to the health and longevity of this community.
- Exercise consideration and respect in your speech and actions. Attempt collaboration before conflict.
- Refrain from demeaning, discriminatory, or harassing behavior and speech.
- Be mindful of your surroundings and of your fellow participants. Alert community leaders if you notice a dangerous situation, someone in distress, or violations of this Code of Conduct, even if they seem inconsequential.
- Remember that community event venues may be shared with members of the public; please be respectful to all patrons of these locations.
The following behaviors are considered harassment and are unacceptable within our community:
- Violence, threats of violence or violent language directed against another person.
- Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
- Posting or displaying sexually explicit or violent material.Posting or threatening to post other people’s personally identifying information ("doxing").
- Personal insults, particularly those related to gender, sexual orientation, race, religion, or disability.Inappropriate photography or recording.Inappropriate physical contact. You should have someone’s consent before touching them.
- Unwelcome sexual attention. This includes, sexualized comments or jokes; inappropriate touching, groping, and unwelcomed sexual advances.
- Deliberate intimidation, stalking or following (online or in person).
- Advocating for, or encouraging, any of the above behavior.
- Sustained disruption of community events, including talks and presentations.
Consequences of Unacceptable Behavior
Unacceptable behavior from any community member, including sponsors and those with decision-making authority, will not be tolerated.
Anyone asked to stop unacceptable behavior is expected to comply immediately.
If a community member engages in unacceptable behavior, the community organizers may take any action they deem appropriate, up to and including a temporary ban or permanent expulsion from the community without warning (and without refund in the case of a paid event).
If you are subject to or witness unacceptable behavior, or have any other concerns, please notify a community organizer as soon as possible: email@example.com
Additionally, community organizers are available to help community members engage with local law enforcement or to otherwise help those experiencing unacceptable behavior feel safe. In general, community organizers refers to the ContentMine team, in the context of in-person events there will be designated organizers. These will also provide escorts as desired by the person experiencing distress.
If you feel you have been falsely or unfairly accused of violating this Code of Conduct, you should notify firstname.lastname@example.org with a concise description of your grievance.
We expect all community participants (contributors, paid or otherwise; sponsors; and other guests) to abide by this Code of Conduct in all community venues–online and in-person–as well as in all one-on-one communications pertaining to community business.This code of conduct and its related procedures also applies to unacceptable behavior occurring outside the scope of community activities when such behavior has the potential to adversely affect the safety and well-being of community members.
License and attribution
This Code of Conduct is distributed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike license. Portions of text derived from the Mozilla Science Lab Code of Conduct and the Citizen Code of Conduct.